The scia Mill 150 is designed for structuring of complex multilayers of various materials. With its fully reactive gas compatibility the system also enables reactive etching processes with enhanced selectivity and rate. Due to its space saving design the scia Mill 150 is ideal for small scale production and R&D applications.
- Etching angle adjustment with tiltable and rotatable substrate holder
- Excellent uniformity without shaper
- Enhanced selectivity and rate with reactive gases
- Process control with exact SIMS based or optical end point detection
- Carrier concept for adaptation to variable substrate sizes
- Processing of wafers with photoresist masks due to good wafer cooling
- Structuring of magnetic memory (MRAM) and sensors (IR, GMR, TMR)
- Milling of metals in MEMS production (Au, Ru, Ta, …)
- Milling of multilayers from diversified metal and dielectric materials
- RIBE or CAIBE of compound semiconductors (GaAs, GaN, InP, …)
- Production of 3-dimensional optoelectronic microstructures
- Ion beam smoothing for reduction of microroughness
- Pattern transfer for optical gratings
- Circular ion beam source etches full substrate area under a defined angle with inert or reactive gases
Ion Beam Etching (IBE) / Ion Beam Milling (IBM)
uses a collimated beam of inert gas ions for structuring or material removal.
Reactive Ion Beam Etching (RIBE)
introduces reactive gas into the ion beam source for reactive etching of the surface.
Chemically Assisted Ion Beam Etching (CAIBE)
uses reactive gas independent of the ion beam for reactive etching of the surface.
Substrate size (up to)
150 mm dia.
Water-cooled, helium backside cooling contact, substrate rotation 5 to 20 rpm, tiltable in-situ from 0° to 165° in 0.1° steps
Ion beam source
218 mm circular microwave ECR source (MW218-e)
Triple plasma bridge neutralizer (N-3DC)
Typical removal rate
SiO2: 30 nm/min
≤ 1 % (σ/mean)
< 5 x 10-7 mbar
System dimension (W x D x H)
1.70 m x 1.70 m x 1.70 m (without electrical rack)
Single chamber, optional single substrate load lock, optional OES or SIMS based end point detection
SECS II / GEM, OPC