The scia Mill 300 is designed for ion beam etching of various substrate materials with up to 300 mm dia. Different end point detection systems allow accurate process control, and the system's full reactive gas compatibility enables reactive etch processes with improved selectivity and rate. Due to the flexible design of the scia Mill 300, the system can be used both for high-volume production with cassette loading as well as for small scale production with a single substrate load-lock.
- Etching angle adjustment with tiltable and rotatable substrate holder
- Excellent uniformity without shaper
- Enhanced selectivity and rate with reactive gases
- Process control with exact SIMS based or optical end point detection
- Processing of wafers with photoresist masks due to good wafer cooling
- Fully automatic cassette handling in variable cluster layouts including SECS/GEM communication
- Structuring of magnetic memory (MRAM) and sensors (IR, GMR, TMR)
- Milling of metals in MEMS production (Au, Ru, Ta, …)
- Milling of multilayers from diversified metal and dielectric materials
- RIBE or CAIBE of compound semiconductors (GaAs, GaN, InP, …)
- Production of 3-dimensional optoelectronic microstructures
- Ion beam smoothing for reduction of microroughness
- Pattern transfer for optical gratings
- Circular ion beam source etches full substrate area under a defined angle with inert or reactive gases
Ion Beam Etching (IBE) / Ion Beam Milling (IBM)
uses a collimated beam of inert gas ions for structuring or material removal.
Reactive Ion Beam Etching (RIBE)
introduces reactive gas into the ion beam source for reactive etching of the surface.
Chemically Assisted Ion Beam Etching (CAIBE)
uses reactive gas independent of the ion beam for reactive etching of the surface.
Substrate size (up to)
300 mm dia.
Water-cooled, helium backside cooling contact, substrate rotation 1 to 20 rpm, tiltable in-situ from 0° to 170° in 0.1° steps
Ion beam source
450 mm circular RF source (RF450-e)
RF plasma bridge neutralizer (N-RF)
Typical removal rates
Cu: 60 nm/min, Pt: 35 nm/min, W:18 nm/min, SiO2: 20 nm/min (inert), SiO2: 40 - 60 nm/min (reactive)
≤ 2 % (σ/mean)
12 Wafer/h (100 nm SiO2 removal)
< 5 x 10-7 mbar
System dimension (W x D x H)
2.70 m x 1.50 m x 2.00 m, for single chamber with single substrate load-lock (without electrical racks and pumps)
Single chamber, optional single substrate load-lock or cassette handling, Cluster system with up to 3 process chambers and cassette handling, optional OES or SIMS based end point detection
SECS II / GEM, OPC